Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 12 - The Power of Risk


"The comfort of the self that you know, always comes with a false sense of security that you will be tempted to hold on to."pg 157

Sooo true! I think a big part of my feeling stuck/uninspired has to do with 1. being unconscious to my repetitive behaviors 2. not taking risks!

As I've gained experience and responsibility my tolerance for risk has definately decreased! It was a huge challenge for my grist mill of a mind to even consider new behaviors but once it got started it bounced back and forth between tame and ridiculous:

- pack my bags and head to Florida to write

- stay in pj's all day with Tate and Clara

- go out and buy a new wardrobe

- donate to the Red Cross for Haiti

The crazy thing about giving myself permission to take risks made even the ridiculous risks very tempting (especially any thought involving a warmer climate!) Here are a few of the risks I did take and it made for a pretty great day, I have to admit:

- dressed the little ones and took them to a new play group

- wore something I wouldn't normally to play group

- parked in a no parking zone (to get closer to the door for Jess) - very funny result!!

- make dessert with my kids at 7pm and ate it

This experiment with risk is not over for me - I'm going to explore it more and more in the next couple of days.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to hear about the funny result from parking in the no parking zone!!

But loved this post about risks. Made me think.... Thanks!

Stephanie Rainey said...

The no parking zone was at the school (not far from where the buses are parked) and it got the principal in a bit of a tizzy. She worked up a bit of a sweat, I think. Normally, I would have been embarressed and on the defense but I just laughed to myself and thought, "well, I did ask for it!" PS It also reminded me of an old grudge that I had forgiven her - so I couldn't even use that to fuel my own complaints!!

Unknown said...

Ah! You rebel, you!

Unknown said...

Haha, I love it! Steph the risk taker, sounds freeing and exciting!